Cherry Tree welcomes submissions of poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction, and literary shade. We read manuscripts between August 1 and October 1. We only consider original, unpublished work. For accepted work, we purchase First North American serial rights.
Payment is $20 per contributor and two contributor's copies.
Submissions are only accepted via Submittable. From August 1 to October 1, 2018, we will be reading submissions for Issue 5 of Cherry Tree. Please review the submission guidelines below before submitting online:
- Please familiarize yourself with the mission statement of Cherry Tree before submitting.
- Please note: current students and those who have graduated from Washington College in the past four years are not eligible to submit work to Cherry Tree.
- If your work has been published in a previous issue of Cherry Tree, please wait 2 years before submitting work here again. For example, if you were published in Issue 4, please wait to submit again until we are reading work for Issue 6.
- All manuscripts should be paginated, with the author’s name and contact information on the first page. Prose should be double-spaced and include a word count.
- Writers may only submit once to each genre per reading period. Please wait until the next reading period before sending a new submission to a genre for which you have already submitted work, even if you have already received a response or withdrawn your work.
- Please send no more than 7 poems, 7 flash prose pieces, or 25 total pages of prose. If submitting flash fiction or nonfiction, please send no more than 7 flash pieces or 25 total pages of flash (whichever comes first). Poems and flash should be uploaded as a single file.
- We prefer to receive submissions in .DOC or .RTF format.
- Fill in the title(s) of the work(s) you are submitting. If you are submitting a group of poems or flash pieces, they should be saved and uploaded as one file, rather than individually.
- Simultaneous submissions should be clearly marked as such in the comments section and in your cover letter.
- If any of the work is accepted elsewhere, please notify us by adding a note to your submission in Submittable. We will happily consider the remaining poems work in your original submission will remain under consideration.
- Allow up to 3 months for a reply. If more than 3 months have passed since your submission, you may query managing editor Lindsay Lusby at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fill in all of your contact information. You should use the “Writer Name” field to specify a pen name, if different from your legal name.
- Use the comments section to enter a cover letter, then click submit.
- After clicking the submit button, you will be able to review your information and confirm. You can log in at any time to view your account and previous submissions.
- Once submissions have been sent to Cherry Tree, the works are considered final. We will not be using Submittable’s submission editing feature.
- Further queries may also be directed to managing editor Lindsay Lusby (email@example.com).
We are only reading solicited submissions at this time. If you were not invited to submit your work, please wait until our open reading period begins on August 1.
**Please see general guidelines above.**
We are interested in both longer essays and flash nonfiction.
- Please send no more than 7 flash prose pieces, or 25 total pages of prose.
- If submitting flash nonfiction, please send no more than 7 flash pieces or 25 total pages of flash (whichever comes first). Flash should be uploaded as a single .DOC or .RTF file.
All work submitted to our poetry, fiction, or nonfiction categories will be considered for inclusion in the Literary Shade feature section of our upcoming print issue.