There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Cherry Tree welcomes submissions of poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction, and literary shade. We read manuscripts between August 1 and October 1. We only consider original, unpublished work. For accepted work, we purchase First North American serial rights.
Payment is $20 per contributor and two contributor's copies.
Submissions are only accepted via Submittable. From August 1 to October 1, 2017, we will be reading submissions for issue 4 of Cherry Tree. Please review the submission guidelines below before submitting online:
- Please familiarize yourself with the mission statement of Cherry Tree before submitting.
- Please note: current students and those who have graduated from Washington College in the past four years are not eligible to submit work to Cherry Tree.
- If your work has been published in a previous issue of Cherry Tree, please wait 2 years before submitting work here again. For example, if you were published in issue 3, please wait to submit again until we are reading work for issue 5.
- All manuscripts should be paginated, with the author’s name and contact information on the first page. Prose should be double-spaced and include a word count.
- Writers may only submit once to each genre per reading period. Please wait until the next reading period before sending a new submission to a genre for which you have already submitted work, even if you have already received a response or withdrawn your work.
- Please send no more than 7 poems, 7 flash prose pieces, or 25 total pages of prose. If submitting flash fiction or nonfiction, please send no more than 7 flash pieces or 25 total pages of flash (whichever comes first). Poems and flash should be uploaded as a single file.
- We prefer to receive submissions in .DOC or .RTF format.
- Fill in the title(s) of the work(s) you are submitting. If you are submitting a group of poems or flash pieces, they should be saved and uploaded as one file, rather than individually.
- Simultaneous submissions should be clearly marked as such in the comments section and in your cover letter.
- If any of the work is accepted elsewhere, please notify us by adding a note to your submission in Submittable. We will happily consider the remaining poems work in your original submission will remain under consideration.
- Allow up to 3 months for a reply. If more than 3 months have passed since your submission, you may query managing editor Lindsay Lusby at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fill in all of your contact information. You should use the “Writer Name” field to specify a pen name, if different from your legal name.
- Use the comments section to enter a cover letter, then click submit.
- After clicking the submit button, you will be able to review your information and confirm. You can log in at any time to view your account and previous submissions.
- Once submissions have been sent to Cherry Tree, the works are considered final. We will not be using Submittable’s submission editing feature.
- Further queries may also be directed to managing editor Lindsay Lusby (email@example.com).